Traveling from Miami to the end of the road has been a bucket list item for me. This winter, my brother Brad and I took the chance to fly into Fort Lauderdale and spent four days traveling and playing along the way down to Key West and back.
It is always nice to escape the colder weather and travel to a land of eternal summer. We enjoyed driving along the highway that leap frogs from key to key over varying spans of ocean. They call the small islands “keys” with the biggest one being Key Largo just off of mainland Florida. The last key you can drive to is Key West.
Some of the highlights of the trip included:
- Diving in a coral reef near an old lighthouse off the coast of Marathon
- Kayaking to a deserted island called Indian Key State Park where we snorkeled off of the rocky shore
- Watching street performers in Mallory Square in Key West
- Getting muddy wet driving dune buggies around the agricultural area outside of Florida City
- Seeing colorful murals in Hollywood Florida
- Soaking our feet in the ocean one last time before flying out